Wednesday 12 August 2015

Good food, good wine & good views...


I have finally arrived back from my long weekend in France and wanted to share my trip on here. I had such a great time and feel really refreshed. I got back yesterday and thought to myself that this is the first week that I feel like my body is recovering from the birth of my baby!

The place I went is called Les Gets and is in the French Alps (about an hours drive from Geneva). It is higher than Snowdonia and is a location that is great for hiking, parapente and mountain biking in summer and in winter it becomes a great destination for skiing/snowboarding. It is a perfect destination for families because of all the activities available... In both the summer and winter seasons! One I would definitely recommend.

It offers the ideal combination of French wine, cheeses, fresh baguettes and croissants, fresh mountain air, tap water that is basically Evian, beautiful views, family activities and welcoming locals!

Just a sample of the delicious food we enjoyed...
I also think that nothing beats a long mountain walk with a stop at one of the mountain chalet restaurants for a plat du jour! I think you can really enjoy crepes, croissants and wine without any calorie induced guilt if you have spent 3 hours walking up a mountain!

I really felt great during the walks as well... My exercise has been so limited since my C section but walking is something I can do without straining myself too much... And when the weather is this glorious and the views are this beautiful you forget that you are working off that morning pain au chocolat!

What amazing views?!
On a random note we have discovered that Archie loves French, whenever someone speaks it to him he gets the biggest grin on his face (without fail). He also managed to woo many of the locals and people celebrating with us, to the extent he got several gifts off people (including a beautiful ski jacket for when he is one).

If you like the look of Les Gets here is some practical information:

The main reason for the trip was to attend a family celebration so I stayed with family but the summer rates at the hotels are really reasonable (a quick check I did for a Sunday was between £50-£100 per night for many of the local hotels).

You can catch a transfer from Geneva airport using Alpy Bus (http://www.alpybus.com/home) for around €20 one way.

The fresh baguettes and croissants from local bakeries for breakfast are a must!

Activities such as swimming in the lake, parapente and hiking are all available, and there is also great local towns to visit (such as Morzine and Chamomix).
Plus some of the hikes you can do around Les Gets offer views of Mont Blanc as you walk!

There is a local market selling delicious French delicacies on Thursdays, and having a lunch of the plat du jour in one of the local restaurants offer amazing French food for great value!

No comments:

Post a Comment