Saturday 25 July 2015

TENS Machine for labour: is it worth it?

When I went of to antenatal classes I wasn't sure if I would bother buying or hiring a TENS machine for labour, but during the classes the midwife went through the advantages of TENS machines and I decided I would hire one.

These advantages include:
  • Drug free pain relief
  • You are able to move around while using a TENS machine
  • Natural and safe for you and your baby
  • Easy to use
  • Can be used with other pain relief options
For me I found that it didnt have a major impact on the pain of a contraction but how it helped was by taking my mind off the contraction. The tingling sensation it causes does help divert your focus away from the contraction.

I wouldnt have it on all the time, I would just turn it on as a contraction came on and have it pulsing throughout the contraction. Having something to focus on (turning it on and then the plusing) helped me during the contractions a lot. It also gave me a feeling of control during the early stages of labour at home.

You can't wear it during a bath or a water birth but you can wear it walking around or bouncing on a birthing ball. This can be very handy when you want to move around during labour.

I would advise hiring a TENS machine (make sure it is one specifically designed for maternity/labour), it is often cheaper than buying one. The company we used was Tens Med and we hired this TENS machine.

It offered a simple delivery and return service, you can keep it for 7 weeks as well. So it gives you plenty of time before and after your due date, in case your baby is early or late.
It also includes everything you need, including: pratice sticky pads, batteries and instruction manuals. The practice pads were especially useful to try out before my due date. I got my husband to go through it with me to make sure he knew where to place the pads on my back.

I would recommend a TENS machine to anyone considering them. They are a great tool for labour and as I mentioned having that button to press can make you feel like you have some control over your labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment