Thursday 30 July 2015

Babies first swim... Chaos!

Archie had his first swim today. I was excited to take him along to a baby "Swim-a-Song" session and experience this "first swim" with him.

However, the reality was slightly more chaotic than expected. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely but at the same time it was essentially a pool of small children screaming and splashing while the instructor played nursery rhymes and attempted to maintain some sort of structure! He failed... One poor 3 year old screamed throughout the whole lesson.

Due to the above it felt like it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. Archie was also the youngest and the activities were aimed at older children. I feel that it wasn't really suitable for my babies age. I think what I will do now is find a general family session in a pool (just for him to splash around and get used to swimming) as it is obvious that my baby is too young for these classes, then I will return to the classes when he is 5 or 6 months old.

On the practical side of things here is a list of what I took, in case any one is unsure:

Swimming Nappies
Swimsuit
Floatation Device 
Towel



I also took my babies dummy as I expected him to cry once we got out the pool and this would comfort him.  I also found my baby carrier was really useful. I wasn't sure if there would be space or somewhere to leave my pram (there wasn't) so I walked there with my son in the carrier. Once I got us both dressed again after the swim I put him in the carrier while I packed.

I would highly recommend a little sit in ring/floatation device as well. My baby loved this and it was a great way to introduce him to the water gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment