Tuesday 28 July 2015

International baby of mystery: Flying with a baby!


I am embarking on a journey destined to be fraught with disaster. I am taking my baby on his first flight in a couple of weeks! We are off to join family in the French Alps which is sure to be enjoyable but the idea of travelling with a baby for the first time is daunting!

Even more so because my husband can't come, so I am going sans partner! Am I mad?! I do have other family members travelling with me but not having my partner in crime with me is going to be hard. You can't really hand over your baby to family members as easily as you can with your husband.

All this has meant I am planning the holiday, especially the journey part, with military precision.

Here is how I have prepared for babies first flight;

Firstly, if you are a UK resident, like me, taking your baby on their first international adventure they will need their own passport. This comes with its own set of issues but the biggest one is the passport photo! Trying to get a baby to stay still for a passport photo takes dedication, patience and lots of arms. Here is a link to the company I used to print pictures I took myself, called PhotoLizard, they also have a very useful tutorial on taking a suitable photo for your babies passport, which you can find here.

Pack everything! I feel like I am going to being taking my entire house with me, just in my carry on bag alone. My bag will include:
  • Comforters (dummies, blanket, favourite teddy), whatever my little one needs to feel comforted. Dummies are especially good for the air pressure at take off and landing.
  • Entertainment: baby book and teddy/toys
  • Practical essentials: nappies, wipes, nappy cream, bottles, bibs and muslin squares etc.
  • Formula: as I formula feed I am going to need to take formula for the journey. I am taking ready made formula as it is so convenient. Note: the usual restrictions (of 100ml max) on liquids don't apply to formula and breast milk but you need to give it security staff to screen separately. For more information always check with the airport you are flying from. 
  • Change of clothes: I am taking 2 sets of spare clothes for my baby and 1 spare top for me (because of baby messes, need I say more).
  • Baby carrier: I have the NCT Close Baby Caboo and it folds down nicely to fit into a bag and it will be useful for holding my baby close in the airport and during the flight. 
  • Pram and car seat system: most airlines let you take 2 pieces of extra "luggage" for a baby. I am taking the car seat and pram base (which the car seat goes into) so my baby has all the travel essentials while in France.
A great formula tip is that you can order formula with the Boots in the airport and pick it up on the way through. If you go onto the Boots website and look at their click and collect section it is all on there. For most airports you need to leave 5 days between ordering and collecting. This means you don't have to worry about finding the right formula in the country you are going to.

Air pressure on take off and landing can upset babies so breastfeeding or bottle feeding during these times can help alleviate the pressure in your babies ears! I am also taking a dummy for this purpose.

I would advise getting an aisle seat because it is highly likely you will need to use the toilets to change your baby during your flight. Also try and get a seat close to the front/near the toilet as when stewardess come down the aisle with the trolleys you can get blocked in. If your baby has a bad nappy eruption (you know what I mean) and your are blocked in (unable to get to toilets) it can create problems.

I am sure there will be something I have forgotten... Wish me bonne chance (good luck)!

No comments:

Post a Comment