Thursday 23 July 2015

Inspired by Bake Off: Fennel Seed Shortbread Recipe

Great British Bake Off is coming back to our screens soon!!! Yay...

I love this programme... It is such a great family friendly, fun and easy watching series. Sometimes you just need to watch something without too much drama. It is the perfect programme to watch while enjoying an indulgent biscuit and tea moment, while the baby is sleeping. I can almost feel the happy sigh I will release after a busy Mummy day when I sit down with a cuppa and Bake Off comes on!

With the adverts for the new series now being shown it has inspired me to get bakey in my kitchen. So many things have been put on the back burner since I bought home my baby, baking being one of these. But today I reclaimed my baking apron while my son was sleeping, whipping up a quick batch of Fennel Seed Shortbread biscuits.

You might now be thinking "fennel seed in shortbread... disgusting idea"... but trust me. It is really delicious. This isn't my idea though, I stole the idea from a hotel I stayed in last year. I visited Morley Hayes Hotel in Derbyshire and had dinner there as well (it was wonderful, both the hotel and restaurant) and I highly recommend it. But while we waited for dinner we were given some nibbles and one was a fennel and semolina biscuit (very similar to a shortbread biscuit in texture).

The textures and flavours went together so well so I decided to attempt to make a shortbread with fennel in and see if my attempts came out like the restaurant nibbles. Although the biscuits we were given were more savoury, the ones I have made are sweeter and more like a traditional shortbread.

The sweetness or the shortbread with the almost aniseed like flavour of the fennel goes really well together, so I thought I would share the recipe on here...

As well as being tasty, fennel is meant to have antioxidants and lots of vitamin C in it as well, which makes me feel slightly less guilty about eating so much shortbread.

I hope you like it.


Ingredients:
150g of plain flour
100g of butter
50g of caster sugar
3/4 tablespoon of fennel seeds

Method:
(I know this isn't a traditional way to make shortbread but bare with me, it makes it super crumbly and delicious)
Firstly I placed all the ingredients into a food processor and let them mix together well.
I then got the crumble-like mixture out and pressed it together to create more of a dough, before rolling it into a roll using tinfoil (which I then wrapped it up in - do this tightly). I then placed it into the fridge for 1 hour.

Then unroll the tinfoil (it should keep the roll shape but may crumble a bit still so be gentle) and then slice the roll into 1.5 cm slices, creating a circular biscuit.

Lay these onto a butter greased tray and place into the oven at 180C for 15 minutes until golden in colour.

Let them cool and then attempt not the eat them all at once (and if you are like me, fail terribly at that).

I hope you like the recipe and enjoy it if you make them... please let me know if you make them and if you like them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh YUMMMM I will definitely be trying those and I can't wait for Bakeoff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck making them! Let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete