Wednesday 29 July 2015

Bottle Feeding Fail!

I think my little one popped my eardrums yesterday evening. He was one unhappy chappy, squealing, during and after his feeds... and sadly it was his Mummy's fault.

It all started a few days ago, when my husband and I were commenting on how our 2 month old son could seem very windy sometimes. He would wiggle around a lot and be fussy during feeds, as well as burping and farting a lot. During this chat I mentioned the Dr Brown's bottles, having seen all the positive reviews, and we decided to try them out. All the reviews seemed to suggest they were very good at helping windy babies.


So off I popped to Boots to buy a pair of the Dr Brown's bottles... I really wish I hadn't bothered. I hate being negative about products on here because I want this to be about positive experiences on my blog (plus I don't feel it is fair to the product as this is just one Mum and baby experience out of everyone else using this product). But I really feel that this is important to share, I really feel like I have wasted my money as these bottles just didn't suit my baby at all!

He took a lot longer to feed, was fussy and squealed horrendously during and after the feed (hence my poor eardrums) and somehow managed to be windier than usual.

I don't know if he just didn't like the teat (as he is used to his Tommee Tippee ones) or the bottle just isn't for him. But I am a bit angry with myself for wasting £12.99 on 2 bottles I will never use again. I did give them a good try and used them for several feeds before giving up and deciding that just sticking to his good ol' Tommee Tippee bottles was the best thing all around.

Part of me wonders if I got caught up in the "hype" surrounding these bottles. They look very technical and medical (they are called Dr Brown's bottles after all), and part of me thinks that I got enticed by this. I was really excited to try them, I even watched the steriliser clean them before using them (yes, very sad I know).

Anyway, I do think that they must be good for some babies. So many positive reviews can't be for nothing. But this experience has taught me that it might be better to find a way to trial baby products before buying them. Next time I might appeal to any Mummy friends with the product and ask if I can borrow it to try, before committing to a cost that I can't get back. This is why I wanted to share this experience, because that is a tip I wish I had thought of, for myself, before buying the bottles.

When it comes to my baby I have realised that he probably isn't that gassy in the grand scheme of things (all babies do have some wind during feeds), it can obviously be worse... as this little experiment has proved. It is as the saying goes; leave well enough alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment