Monday 14 September 2015

Preparing for Nursery...

My little boy has officially started nursery now and it has been a strange experience.

The reality hasn't really met with my expectations, especially emotionally.

A part of me expected to be really emotional about the whole thing, and I did have a few "moments" where I felt a bit anxious but overall it has been absolutely fine... and not the tear inducing event I had foreseen.

Part of me wonders if I am just a strange Mum that isn't feeling the "right" emotional response.

However, I am hoping that the real reason I haven't been a sobbing wreck each time I drop my baby off at nursery is because I prepared myself emotional and mentally.

I have taken the point of view that nursery will be a positive experience for my baby. He doesn't currently have any siblings, and after 35 hours in labour and a C section I am not in any real rush to repeat childbirth just yet... so I think that nursery will teach him important skills like sharing until, maybe, a sibling does come along.

It will also teach him valuable life and social skills from a young age.

He also seems to love nursery too, he hasn't really had any bad days where they have struggled with him being upset. He seems to be quite popular and gets lots of cuddles. In fact he doesn't even seem upset when I leave... he kind of has an expression that says "well bye, what you waiting for? You can leave now..." when I am waving goodbye for the day... dragging out the goodbye.

As well as preparing myself emotionally, with positive thoughts about why it is good for him, I have had to do all the practical preparation... babies seem to need an entirely separate wardrobe for nursery.

Here is a list of what he needs (in case anyone is wondering what a tiny person requires for nursery):
  • Coat
  • Hat for Sunny Days
  • Hat for Cold Days
  • Jumpers
  • Bibs & Muslin Squares
  • Spare Clothing
  • Shoes (yes, he may only be 4 months old but he needs shoes for outdoor play apparently?!)
  • Suncream for Sunny Days
  • Comforters (dummies, blanket etc)
  • Bottles
  • Formula
And of course everything has to be labelled, I have been glued to my sewing machine, sewing in name labels to any baby clothes I come across.

I also have to change the spare clothes, coat, hats and shoes as he grows out of them... told you, an entirely separate wardrobe for nursery. It is a good job I have a coat addiction and he already has too many because he is going to need them!

So that is my emotional and practical preparation for nursery. I can appreciate how stressful sending your child to nursery can be, but if you think about all the good it will do them then hopefully it will be a bit easier.

Also, I would advise looking at a few nurseries, do your research and pick the one you feel happy with. Being happy with who is looking after your baby makes a big difference. We picked one that was really on the ball when we visited and the whole nursery has a great atmosphere.

In addition to this, always remember that a good nursery will follow your routine and instructions on looking after your little one.

On a side note I am really looking forward to my first bit of "baby art" from nursery, made by the chubby hands of my little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment