Wednesday 7 October 2015

Goodbye Bake Off... Homage to Bake Off: White Chocolate Torte


The Great British Bake Off final is tonight, it is a bitter sweet moment. I can't wait to see who wins but it means the end until next year.

In a homage to Bake Off I have quickly whipped up some White Chocolate Tortes for me and my Husband tonight, to eat while watching it. This recipe was done in under 20 minutes and only uses 4 ingredients, so I felt like it was my moral obligation to share this simple and chocolatey recipe!

I dont really know if "torte" is the right word to describe this dessert, it is sort of like a creamy/chocolatey cheesecake, but doesnt have cheese in it... So I am just calling it a torte...

This recipe is one I have used over the years to make a variety of tortes. You can change the chocolate and the biscuit base to make a variety of styles (I once made a triple chocolate one, where I used the same method with the chocolate and cream but just used 3 different types: dark, milk and white chocolate. Then placed them in layers).

This recipe just makes 2 small ramekin dishes worth of dessert, but you can make a big one, or more smaller ones, by increasing the ingredient quantities.

I used Nice biscuits as I had some in cupboard that needed using and I thought the coconut in the biscuits would compliment the white chocolate.

Ingredients
50g of butter
120g of Nice biscuits
80g of white chocolate
200ml of double cream
You will also need 2 small ramekin dishes to put the dessert in. 


Method 
Firstly weigh out the butter and then melt it in the microwave.

Then mix up the biscuits in a food processor until you have a fine crumb mixture. Now mix the butter into the biscuit mix, making sure all the crumbs have a nice coating of the butter.

Now spoon the mixture into 2 ramekin dishes, half in each dish. Then push the mixture into the base with a spoon, and flatten it out, like so (see picture to right).

Now get the white chocolate and melt it in the microwave, put it on a low setting and be sure to watch it so the chocolate doesnt melt. Once the chocolate is melted place 2 tablespoons of the cream into the chocolate and mix it well (make sure the cream is room temperature otherwise it can make the chocolate harden again and difficult to work with).

Whip the rest of the cream until you have a slightly thicker consistency than before... It doesnt have to be stiff peaks, just enough to add a little air and thickness into the cream. Then add in the chocolate and cream mixture and mix together well.

Now pour the chocolate and cream mixture over the biscuit base. Your desserts should look like this:


Put the tortes in the fridge for at least 2 hours, to set, before eating.

Tip: if you have time and the inclination slicing up strawberries and placing them on top adds a nice touch. 

I hope you enjoy these if you make them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment