Wednesday 4 May 2016

Birth story

I recently had to stay up all night for something and it got me thinking of my last "all nighter", which was during my labour.

I know I have mentioned my labour being long a few times... I am sure I sound like a broken record. But it was one of the biggest events of my life, and of course the most recent so I am bound to mention it.

I actually thought it might be interesting to write about it on my blog. When I was pregnant I read several birth stories online, keen to know as much as possible. Unfortunately many are short and sweet, when I would have preferred in depth, lenghty and honest piece.

So in case any expectant Mums are keen to read an in depth birth account then here you go... Of course, my story is just one of all the different types you can expereince, I end up needing a C section.

Okay... so it was around 2am in the morning when I woke up. I wasnt sure straight away what had woken me up but I felt like something had. After a few minutes I experienced my first contraction (while awake). As I had never experienced labour before I was unsure about if this was really a contraction, it took experiencing a few more to convince me that this was the start of labour.

I woke up my Husband and we started to monitor the contractions, again being unsure about if I was in labour. Over the next hour we monitored the regularity of the contractions, using a handy contraction app we quickly downloaded. My Husband was very alert and from the word go was convinced we should be running off to hospital.

My contractions, though not strong in comparison to the ones I would have later, did feel strong and were coming an average of 2 every 10 minutes. With that being the case we did call the Maternity Ward but they said it was too early on, I should go in when they were 3 in 10 minutes and I could barely focus through a contraction?!

So began the wait... we tried to go back to bed but I just wasnt able to sleep through the contractions so we went downstairs and I whipped out the TENS machine and maternity ball. I spent the next 10 hours bouncing around and controlling the TENS machine.

I found the TENS machine great as it gave me something to focus on. I didnt like having it on constantly but putting it on as a contraction started made me feel in control of something. Throughout this period I was keen to get into hospital as soon as possible. Wanting to be hooked up to every monitoring device possible. But at the same time I was conscious of going in too early in labour and then just being sent home.

So I kept going at home until 3pm in the afternoon, at this time my husband felt my contractions were regular enough to go in. I was uncertain but he convinced me and he was right.

When I arrived they measured my cervix, I was 5cm dilated which is when they say is a good time to be admitted into the maternity ward. Once it was confirmed I was 5cm dilated they "checked me in" and I was given my own labour room.

Between 3pm and 10pm it was a slow labour still. My contractions got progressively stronger and I stopped using the TENS machine and began using gas and air. I didnt find gas and air that helpful if I am honest, but again it was something to focus on. My labour notes did state that I wanted to have a water birth ideally and the midwives took this into account and said they would see if the pool would be available as my active labour came on.

It is worth noting that you will hear the sounds of other women in labour, try not to listen to it, it wont help if you are anxious.

The midwives were excellent throughout my entire birth but during the early bit they were really accomodating. They bought in nice music, made the lighting more relaxed, ran me baths with nice oils in it and bought cups of tea. My labour between 3pm and midnight was still slow. My contraction were very regular and building in strength but I wasnt dilating any further. The care of midwives made a very long labour bareable.

In fact, they were so accomodating my husband said it was like being in a nice hotel... :/ (men hey)

Anyway, past midnight it was apparent I was still not dilating past 5cm and despite all the bouncing around on a birthing ball my waters werent breaking.

The decision was made they would monitor me and my baby (who was very relaxed it seemed) and if my waters hadnt broken by 3pm they would break my waters for me.

It was the run up to the 24 hours in labour that I decided to consider an epidural. I mentioned it to the midwive and discussed it with my husband. I was tired at this point, 24 hours without sleep was taking it toll.

Around 3am I asked for an epidural and at 4am they broke my waters. I was still 5cm dilated...

As it was a busy ward it took some time to take me down to the consultant led part of the maternity ward so I could have an epidural.

Once my waters had broken labour my got stronger still and I found having the epidural while having strong contractions very hard. During an epidural you have to lean forward, your legs dangling off the side of the bed, hunched over a pillow.

During this time you will have contractions and due to the nature of an epidural you need to remain very still. It took several attempts and over 30 minutes to get an epidural successful administered. (Apparently I have a very boney back).

During the epidural being set up I found it physically exerted my body to remain so still during the procedure, while having strong contractions. I was sweating and shaking in pain, and my waters continued to break, I was leaking everywhere. I felt and looked like a mess.

After the epidural was set up and working I felt a million times better. It was now about 8am (29 hours in labour). Sadly though I was still only 5cm dilated so they had to administer a horomone to try and get my cervix to dilate further and move the labour along.

I asked what they would do if I still didnt dilate after this horomone, they said they would give it a few hours and if nothing happened they would explore the option of a C section.

During this conversation I just knew, could just tell, that I would end up having the C section. I just had this sense of knowing.

As we approached midday they checked me again and I still hadnt dilated past 5cms and my cervix was swelling under the pressure of the baby baring down. They decided to give me a C section. I felt a feeling of relief to know a decision had been made and my labour could finally move forward.

They get you to sign/fill out forms, they help you with this, and put on DVT socks on your feet. They will give you something to drink (it is meant to stop any complications with your digestive system I think, but I cant remember) and this did make me sick. Oh the fun!

They did rush through things quickly as they had a gap in the surgery times to slot me in before an elective C section was booked in. Once the decision was made it all happened very quickly, which was a relief. But around this time I suddenly realised I was about to have surgery, it may not sound very big. But when you are exhausted and pregnant (hormonal) it can suddenly feel overwhelming and a little scary.

My husband diligently got into scrubs and was very supportive. I think he was just as relieved that it was finally going to be finished. 

The took me into surgery and made sure the epidural was working, they check you cant feel anything below your upper chest. The whole process took about 30 minutes, and half way in we heard and saw our son for the first time. It was lovely but also I was still being operated on, so lying down and that happening made it harder to be as interactive with my son as I would have liked.

They showed him to us and then took him away to be checked over, he was all fine and they handed him to us all snuggled up. At which point my husband held him to my face so I could see him and kiss him.

This was lovely, but it was around this time that I felt like I couldnt breath properly. I could, but the epidural gets kicked up a notch during a C section and it means you cant feel your muscles around your chest very well. This made it feel like I couldnt breath and I had a massive weight on my chest. The nurses reassured me this was normal, my heart rate was increasing which again is normal. But it is only human to feel a bit worried, which I did. I had to ask my husband to move my son away for a second while I just focused on calming myself down.

I shouldnt have worried, I was soon stitched back up and taken out of the surgery room, I got to sit up in the bed and hold my son. At which point they encouraged me to immediately try breast feeding and I did.

My son was born at 12.36pm, so I was in labour for about 35 hours. It was long and tiring, but it is true what they say. You mostly forget about what it is like. I dont want expecting Mums to read this and be scared, it is more about providing a detailed experience. Showing you what one instance of a birth can be like. I have heard so many different birth stories now, but the lasting impression I get is that we would do it all again for our babies!

Furthermore, the moral of my story is that your labour wont always go as you planned in your birth plan (I wanted a natural, pool birth but that obviously didnt happen). Going into labour with an open mind always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment